Saturday, August 11, 2012

One Week Away

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain


I have a thirst for knowledge and a lust for travel that has so far been unquenchable. For the past three years, there hasn't been a time in which I wasn't planning my next adventure. My love for exploring the world began when I went to Europe with my senior class; we spent 21 days in 6 countries (8 cities) skimming the very surface of culture, history and adventure of Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France and England. My next adventure took me to Quito, Ecuador, where I spent a month in the summer of 2011 shadowing both rural and urban doctors, trying new cuisines (guinea pig egg rolls?) and enjoying the sights and nightlife of a bustling up-and-coming Latin American capital. My next trip? A 10 day trip to Eretz Yisrael, the land of my ancestors, where I spent a whirlwind 10 days traversing the entire country, learning about my roots, about the future and present of the Jewish people and eating lots and lots of falafel. When I arrived back in DC, my home away from home, the question surfaced - where shall I go next?


My decision to spend a semester abroad came with many obstacles. As a pre-med student at a rigorous university, I was always told that studying abroad for a semester would be impossible due to the prerequisites required to apply to medical school. This fact was not about to deter me; I figured out that if I were to take a year off between undergraduate studies and medical school, I could afford to take the semester to study abroad. The search for a country began - I needed to take classes in English, which was my first struggle, because I so badly wanted to return to South America. I found the Danish Institute for Study Abroad, and at first, I barely gave it consideration. I didn't have a strong desire to go to Copenhagen, and felt that the program was too "American" due to the fact I'd be taking classes only with Americans at a study abroad center rather than at a University. My second option was University of New South Whales in Sydney. After lots of consideration and talking it out (thank you Jessica and Tim) I decided to go to Denmark to ultimately experience another chance in Europe - and I haven't looked back since! I have realized that going to Copenhagen will be much more outside of my comfort zone than I had originally suspected. While the locals do speak English, many of their customs and ways of life differ greatly from those I am used to at home. Also, I planned to immerse myself by applying for one of the more "integrated" housing options, as well as signing up for activities within the city. More on that later!


The program I will be participating in through DIS is called Medical Practice and Policy. After doing research, I found that this program is truly fit for me! The way DIS works is that students are enrolled in a "core program" (mine being the Medical track) where you take one class in that discipline that also includes a study tour for a week to other European destinations. With my course, I will be taking weekly lectures at a nearby hospital and also be traveling to Vienna and Bratislava to tour hospitals and see how the medical infrastructure differs in Europe (I can now contrast it to the American as well as Ecuadorian system!) In addition to my core course, I will be taking Introductory Danish Language and Culture, Biological Conservation/Biodiversity, Biology of Cancer and a history course about how plants have shaped history. I am really excited to embark on this educational journey!

In addition to my courses, my time in Denmark is going to be extremely recreational. I recently found out that I will be living in a Kollegium, the Danish equivalent to a college dorm, in the suburb of Amager, an island just south of Copenhagen. I will be living in a 4-bedroom apartment with 3 other students (most likely not Americans...also, the apartments are co-ed!) and we will share two bathrooms, a kitchen and living room. Our building, called Signalhuset, is a "dorm" for ~280 international and Danish students studying at a variety of different institutions. It is located across the street from the biggest shopping mall in Scandinavia, as well as a metro station to take into the city. I have also rented a bike, so I hope to also bike to class as often as possible! The Danish are known as some of the most environmentally-conscious people, and most do bike every day to work. I am excited for both the cultural immersion and exercise this practice will bring!


Signalhuset on Google Maps!


While I am abroad, I will also be participating in a volunteer program, a visiting family program, and Danish buddy network where I can socialize with Danish peers. I will also be joining a gym and a volleyball club and will hopefully meet other like-minded students through those social outlets! I am already planning several trips for my break weeks - in addition to the core course trip, I am planning to travel to Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam and Prague. I look forward to sharing my pictures and experiences on this blog!

It was hard to find just one quote that I loved, so I will have to close with one as well:

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”

No comments:

Post a Comment