Friday, August 24, 2012

Language Woes

Today I had my first Danish Language and Culture course. Even though I could barely wake up this morning (thanks Kulørbar....) I made it to class and really loved it! My teacher was really sweet and cool, and she was genuinely interested in getting to know each student, where we are from, where we had traveled to internationally before and why we were taking the course. We then started learning some phrases in Danish to get us started. Just to give you a little taste of how hard it is, I've compiled a list of words:

Hej (pronounced "hi"): Hi
Hvad hedder due? (pronounced "ve hedduh do"): What is your name?
Hvad studerer du? (pronounced "ve stu-de-uh do"): What do you study?
Østerbro - pronounced "oo-ster-brrah" (a burrough of Copenhagen)
Amager - pronounced "ama" (where I live)

It is going to be a tough feat to learn how to speak here, but I'm excited that I've taken on the challenge. I don't want to be seen as an extended tourist, but really as a student with the purpose of learning the local ways.

In other news, I biked home from school yesterday and took the "scenic route" which was longer than normal, but I had gotten lost and it was basically my only choice. I rode along the main roads and highways for a while, but there was a point where I had to go on a detour because one road was closed. My detour (thankfully, clearly marked with signs) took me into a tunnel and when I got out on the other side, I was at this extremely rural place with a huge lake with boats and a gorgeous view...I biked around the lake and ended up biking along a meadow with sheep! It was an amazing contrast to being in the bustling city just 5 minutes earlier. I wish I had my camera on me because I'm not even sure how I'd get back there if I tried. I'm sure there are many more  of those little pieces of rural scenery around the city just waiting to be discovered...

No comments:

Post a Comment