Thursday, August 23, 2012

Learning the way

I've spent about 4 days in København so far, and am (almost) learning the lay of the land! We had a few days of orientation workshops, learning about things from navigating the city, interacting with Danes and their very liberal attitude towards partying, my medical practice and policy class, and even a student fair where I met representatives from volleyball orgs and the local Chabad. The city is small, but very confusing at times to navigate because streets are always changing names (if you can even pronounce them!) But I've been getting the hang of it, and know the area around my kollegium as well as DIS pretty well.

I've become good friends with the group of Americans living at my kollegium, and last night a few of us went to an event in our apartment building that was a social for all the students. I met a few girls from Germany, a guy from Australia and a few other Americans. I might go out with them tonight to a rooftop party in another town! We've also found a really cool spot called Studenterhuset, a "student house" which is a coffee shop/lounge where students can get really cheap coffee and snacks and sit and do homework, hangout with friends, etc. At night it also turns into a bar with different events for international and local students and often has live music performances. I'm actually here right now writing this blog :)

Today I decided to bike into city for my first day of classes. I was told it would be about a 25-30 minute bike ride... and I must have done something TERRIBLY wrong because even though I stopped every mile or so to ask for directions, it took me over an hour to get to DIS. Oops! Maybe I'll have better luck next time. At least it was some decent exercise. I have two classes later on today, so I'm just hanging out in the student house catching up on emails until then. It's been hard to find time to blog with all the exciting things I've been doing! This weekend, we are planning on visiting Nyhavn, the famous colored houses that line the canals of Copenhagen. I'm also hoping to go to Tivoli and buy my seasons pass (which is apparently the same price as going twice!) I also want to continue to explore the area on my bike and try to find new neighborhoods to go to. Bye for now!

Nyhavn

Tivoli Gardens



No comments:

Post a Comment