Sunday, September 9, 2012

Little Surprises

I'm continuing to be charmed by Denmark more and more each day. I went into the city yesterday (Saturday) to feel a little more productive, even though all I wanted to do was get hyggelig (cozy) in my bed and watch TV on my computer - I woke up feeling really homesick and just overall unhappy, but after a good cry and Skype with Tim, I was ready to get out of my room. I'm only here for 4 months, so it would be a shame to waste a beautiful day! I took the metro in and went to my favorite coffee shop, Studenterhuset. However, when I got there, it was filled with tables and people selling all sorts of clothing/accessories/shoes...like a flea market! I knew at that point I wouldn't be getting much homework done so I perused the stands. Clothing here is extremely expensive, so it was great to find some name brand items that people were reselling for extremely cheap. I found a pair of shoes that I fell in love with instantly (picture below) and asked the girl how much they were. She replied "15 kroner" and I thought I heard wrong... did she mean 150? "15?!" I said. "Yes!" she replied. There are 6 kroners in the USD, so I had just stumbled upon a pair of shoes for just over 2 dollars. Day. Made.


Ok, I know they look kinda dirty (and that's mostly because I wore them out last night to a bar) but they are awesomely comfortable!!!


I then sat outside (since there was nowhere to sit inside) and actually did get some homework done. After that, I was going to walk back to the train station, but I got seduced by my favorite place in all of Copenhagen - a place we refer to as "the Glass Market," eventhough I'm sure it has another name. It is two huge glass buildings right behind the train station that are hidden so that most people don't even know they are there. But, it is a huge market with different vendors selling fresh fruit and vegis, fish and meats, spices, chocolates, baked goods, and olive oil. Almost every stand has a table of samples, and the owners are usually very generous with their portions. So, instead of going home to make lunch, I decided to have lunch at Glass Market by wandering from stall to stall and taking advantage of the samples. Much better than Costco.

After a hearty meal of cheeses dipped in dill honey mustard and freshly baked bread soaked in garlic infused olive oil, I spotted Maggie, a friend from my kollegium who, surprise, was doing the exact same thing as me! We went back to our kollegium together and I rested before a night on the town with 3 of my girlfriends.

At one of the bars we went to, we hungout with a group of 8 British guys who were hilarious and really fun. What started off with me crying into my pillow about how much I wish I was home turned into one of the best and most surprising days here so far. I think I'm starting to call this city home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment